The Association of Medical Consultants – Mumbai or AMC as it is popularly known, was established in 1972 by a small group of energetic active and concerned medical consultants from distant suburbs who often assembled and animatedly discussed their common problems. Over the years, the immense need rose for an organisation of this nature and the Association grew rapidly. It is now one of the fastest growing Associations of Specialist Doctors in Mumbai and boasts of a membership strength of 7515 Medical consultants. AMC represents Consultants practicing at corporate and non corporate Tertiary care referral Hospitals (both Government and Private) and individual Consultants practicing through their own consulting rooms, Clinics & Nursing Homes spread across Greater Mumbai, Navi Mumbai and Thane districts. It also boast of 5 affiliate units in Maharashtra & Karnataka. It is recognized as a frontline Medical Organization and is an important opinion making body which addresses vital public health and professional issues facing the medical profession in general and medical consultants in particular. AMC has effectively brought together consultants of various disciplines on one platform
and aims to highlight and offer solutions to all the important day to day problems faced by consultants. For a practicing consultant enrolling as our member has become equivalent to registration with the MMC. However it is not only the Doctor’s issue which are highlighted by AMC but also other issues related to public health such as environmental issues, organ and blood donations. First aid workshops and medical camps & public awareness lectures are also conducted by AMC from time to time. The name of Association of Medical Consultants & its Logo are also patended. It is registered under Public Charitable Trust.
To create a distinguished national medical body which facilitates unity of the entire medical fraternity, promotes sound, ethical, evidence-based medical practice, initiates path-breaking healthcare policy reforms and induces a harmonious doctor-patient relationship.
To guide, steer, motivate and hold hands of every practicing Consultant to carry on his/her medical, ethical and social responsibilities and duties conscientiously and fearlessly while promoting the knowledge arena of medical education and securing a safe & effective healthcare delivery system in conjunction with the sociopolitical authorities.
A) Medico Legal Cell :
Unarguably the premier Cell of AMC, it is formed to offer assistance to its members in traumatic times of legal battles and violence and vandalism created by any patient’s relatives. We not only guide our member towards proper actions but also ensure him help from all possible quarters including police, advocates and others who matters. Innumerable members have so far benefitted from AMC’s timely help. We conduct various programs for creating awareness regarding the medico-legal issues amongst our members. We have one of the finest, most effective and all encompassing. Professional Indemnity Protection Insurance. This is probably the most ideal indemnity insurance that has ever been tailored to meet a consultants needs.
The Salient Features are :
- It is a unique tailor-made Policy for AMC members only.
- Two Types of Policies: 1) Individual Doctor 2) Medical Establishments Error & Ommission Policy (covers clinics, Nursing Homes, Diagnostic Centres, Day Care Centres etc)
- These are Group Policies as opposed to individual.
- Premium less than other insurance company’s premium.
- Defence costs for Criminal as well as Civil cases arising out of Medical accidents, mishaps operative deaths etc are covered for the 1st time ever.
- A panel of Advocates are included by the “The Oriental Insurance Company Limited”. in consultation & recommended by AMC, who have proven capabilities, track records & expertise in MLC.
- Cashless Service for payment to Advocates as per agreed schedule (This is a special schedule which is 200% higher as compared to normal schedule of Advocate fees)
- Provision in memorandum of understanding for compromised (out of court) settlement.
- Cosmetic Procedure and Cosmetic Surgery cases of medical negligence covered at extra premium.
- Retroactive date of old policy will continue if policy is renewed in time.
- If policy is renewed late but within 6 months of expiry, retroactive date will be restored on payment of 25% of basic premium.
- Expenses for Doctor’s travel by air + stay for visit to State Commission of the state and New Delhi for Evidence in National Commission covered.
- Cases in Medical Councils covered.
- Cases in National Human Rights Commission covered.
- Cases in Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Commissions covered. (competition commission of India).
- A Monitoring Committee has been set up comprising 3 members of AMC & 2 representatives of “The Oriental Insurance Company Limited”. The Committee will have several recommendory powers & will oversee the implementation of the MoU.
- Your existing policy can be transferred here with all your previous benefits.
It is proposed to set up a Body on the lines of the Medical Defence Union, London, which offers comprehensive assistance to members facing this unfortunate problem.The feasibility of establishing medico-legal insurance scheme by the association is also being worked out. Today we have 4755 Members under our PI SCHEME and medical establishments of consultants. AMC was also instrumental in getting the GR passed in Maharashtra assembly for the violence against Doctors and medical establishments. AMC has also tied up with TOPSLINE SECURITY for providing help in times of need to its members at a highly subsidized rates.
B) Network of AMC Hospitals (AMC-NoAH) :
A very significant lifeline of Mumbai i.e nursing homes owned by our members had been hitherto left to fend after itself. They have recently been facing a lot of problems with various laws regulating nursing homes viz, labour laws, BMC regulations, FDA, Clinical Establishment Act., Fire NOC, Cooperative societies Act., Bio Medical Waste Disposal Act etc. AMC has intervened time and again to fill the deficiencies existing in our system and helped our nursing home members overcome practical hurdles. AMC has also conducted a number of panel discussions and symposiums involving the people who are at the helm of affairs and form part of decision-making body.
The issue of separate staircase for Nursing homes was one such issue on which it was AMC which took the lead in first mounting a legal challenge and subsequently even convincing the state government to amend the DC rules to make an exception to this rule for already existing health care institutions.
The issue of Change of User and NOC from fire department continue to haunt the members who own/run small and medium health care establishments, and it has been AMC which has taken up cudgels on behalf of its members to try and resolve this issue amicably.
The Health Insurance sectors has also brought in its share of problems especially to the smaller Nursing Homes. Patients are becoming more demanding necessitating the doctor to spend more time with Patient/Relatives to explain to them the medical conditions of patient. The insurance companies are also demanding lower tariffs to cover for their losses which they claim is due to excess billing and malpractices of some of the providers. Their system of Cashless services had inherent problems such as delayed payment and non-payment after preauthorization and increased burden of paperwork. The Local Tax, Business & Labour laws are becoming stringent and the skilled manpower scarce. The subtle pressure from the larger corporate hospitals also has resulted in Government regulations becoming too overbearing and impossible to comply with. In such scenario, the Nursing Home Owners need a representation & support system so that they can focus on their core competence namely Medical Deliverables. In view of the aforesaid, it was felt in AMC that though the Nursing Home Cell (Infrastructure Cell) has been addressing these difficult issues in a dedicated manner, there was a need to carve out within AMC a more focussed and specifically empowered outfit to find innovative solutions to these problems with a greater sense of urgency. Accordingly, AMC Managing Committee considered the re-incornation of the Nursing Home Cell to AMC-NoAH with the avowed objective of creating a cohesive group of small health providers to focus on Nursing homes problems exclusively and therefore more effectively. The AMC-NoAH is designed to be a highly disciplined and motivated unit with adequate checks and balances. It would be empowered to create effective disincentives for non-compliance with directives of the AMC-NoAH issued in the common interests of its members.
AMC has proactively launched a accreditation programme with FEQH and the Mumbai Chapter of QCI to propogate the idea of quality and safe standards towards patients care & health care establishments belonging to its members are certified after auditing them for the prescribed standards. This activity not only ensures adoption of quality standards by its members but also promotes safety measures for patients and therefore goes a long way in providing quality healthcare to patients.
Even the Nursing staff and paramedics employed in many nursing homes do not have formal training and qualification. AMC conducts Nurses Training Programme for such staff thereby increasing their knowledge and helping them in patient care. The nurses are trained in various areas like neonatal care, labour, medica land surgical emergencies, bedside care of patients, etc. This program also serves as continued medical education for the nurses. All the participating nurses are given a certificate by AMC.. This program is on the anvil of being accredited by QCI mumbai chapter and its Raigad branch program are already a certified course by a local university.
C) Personal Health & Accident Insurance : H & A policy :
We have a customised Group Health and Accident Group Insurance from Oriental Insurance Co. policy for our members and their family members. At present nearly 4332 members and families are availing its benefits.
Salient features of this scheme are :
- Pre-existing illness are covered, with certain restrictive conditions.
- No medical checkup required to join the scheme
- AMC decision on any claim is final and binding on the insurance co.
- Most of congenital anomalies are covered.
- Self -regulated Claim ratio to create a win-win situation for members & Insurance companies.
- Parents and dependents of consultants can join.
- Lower premiums for senior citizen consultants
D) Consultants Benevolent Scheme :
The Association has started this project as a social security scheme for its members. This scheme aims at providing financial assistance to the family or nominee of a member in the scheme, in the event of death or sickness leading to permanent mental or total pjysical disability of the concerned member. 1123 consultants are members of this scheme.
Following the intervention by this Cell of the Associatio, many members have had their faulty equipments replaced or corrected by manufactures who were not in a mood to listen when approached by the members in their individual capacity.
E) Social Service Cell :
As AMC is a charitable organisation registered under Charitable Trust Act, the various charitable activities conducted by the Association for the society at large are :
- Doctor’s Day Celebrations: This is celebrated on a Sunday nearest to 1st of July (Doctor’s Day) by organizing Blood donation drives where doctors, their family members and friends donate blood. This blood is collected by the State Blood transfusion Department of donated to the Public Hospitals in Mumbai. The general public is offered this blood free of charge. The Blood Donation Drive is held along-with a Medical camps and Awareness Drive for “Organ donation, Eye donation, Noise pollution etc”. An entertainment program is organised in the evening for members.
- Basic Life Support Workshops: The Doctors, Paramedics and the common man are trained in Basic Life Support in this workshop. This is a one day workshop which comprehensively covers first aid and basic emergencies like cardiac life support measures. We have conducted more than 150 such workshop with more than 100 supported by kind gesture of HSBC Bank.
- Public Awareness Lectures: Public Awareness Lectures are for General public to educate them on various aspects of prevention and management of certain diseases such as heart, kidney cancer diabetes etc to name a few and reproductive health lessons to the college students.
- Anti Noise Pollution Committee : It is largely due to the sustained effects of this committee that the noise pollution rules were tabled. The effectiveness of this program is there for us all to see in the reduced noise pollution we have today.AMC is a party to the PIL regarding noise pollution.
- PIL for Railway Accident Victims : Association of Medical Consultants, Mumbai is a party to the PIL pending in the Mumbai High Court espousing the cause of Railway Accident victims. As a result railways have been ordered to adopt effective procedures to deal with railway accident victims.
Significantly, these efforts have earned for Association of Medical Consultants, Mumbai, the status of an NGO. Many governmental and municipal authorities have acknowledged so and invited Association of Medical Consultants, Mumbai. to participate in various brain storming sessions or decision making meetings pertaining to healthcare issues.
F) Affiliate Branches :
The problems of consultants practicing anywhere are likely to be same. It therefore stands to reason that, AMC should help consultants from other regions (viz, outside Mumbai, Thane, Navi Mumbai) to organize themselves into similar Bodies. These consultants need not have to re-invent the wheel but can easily replicate the organizational structure and aims and objectives of AMC.
AMC has affiliate branches in different towns of Maharashtra like Dhule, Raigad, Kolhapur, Ratnagiri & Dahanu. The ideology of the AMC is now being taken to other states of the country to facilitate formation of similar bodies outside Mumbai which can eventually form AMC INDIA. We have successfully started Affiliate units in Karnatka like Mysore, Mangalore, Bangalore. We have conducted M LC programmes at Kolkata & Ajmer & hope to start units there. Shortly we will be visiting Dharwad, Hubli, Belgaum in Karnatka & Pune, Nagpur, Solapur & Aurangabad in Maharashtra to facilitate formation of local units.
These are our associate members from outside the jurisdiction of the association. They have the advantage of attending our programmes and availing all the other benefits like medical indemnity, H & A policy etc. Our senior members also visit these affiliated organisations programmes and give talks on topics of their interest. The ultimate aim is to widen the sphere of the influence and activity of AMC at the national level.
One can start an affilated branch by making 25 consultants in the area as member of the AMC. They can decide their membership fees but 40% AMC Mumbai fees have to be sent to the parent body for Affilated Branch.
G) Fellowship and Programmes :
The Association helps in promoting a sense of fellowship and solidarity amongst consultants and aspires to uphold their legitimate rights and privileges and to obtain redressal of their grievances. However it also exhorts members to practice ethically. Few of our important events are :
AMCON : Is our Annual Conference attended by over 800 to 1000 consultants. The highlights of AMCON are Oration, Debates, Panel discussion and lectures by eminent personalities on topics of great concern to consultant community. Personalities like Shri Narayana Murthy, Shri Deepak Parekh, Shri Amitabh Bachchan, Ms. Kiran Bedi, Mr. Soli Sorabjee, Mr. Rajku mar Hirani and many other prominent speakers have addressed our members.
Medico Legal Conference : AMC conducted a highly successful medico – legal conference ‘NAMCON 2009’ in Mumbai. Participating delegates were from all over India. Now we have decided to hold similar conferences in the major cities of India, so that consultants everywhere can benefit. This will not only help the doctors but also the patients as the awareness created by such programs goes a long way in improving healthcare delivery.
Other programs include discussion on:
- Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Consumer Protection Act and Doctors
- Establishing a private nursing home-problems and perspectives
- Medical Council vis-a-vis practicing doctors
- Medico Legal Liability
- Post mortem, Coroner & you
- Consultants and Computers
- Media and Medical Profession
- Income tax rules, maintenance of books of accounts
- Frustrations of doctors due to inadequate infrastructural facilities
- AIDS-Social, Legal & Medical aspects.
- MMC Act- Outdated ?does it need to be revised radically ?
- Legislation affecting Medical Establishments like Clinical Establishment Act, Shop & Establishment Act, PNDT Act Minimum Wages Act.
- Impact of TPA on Medical Practice
- Bio Medical Waste Disposal Act.
- Computer & Communication for Better Medicare.
H) Publication :
i. Grasp : The official publication of AMC is called Grasp. This is a quarterly magazine and sent to all members free of charge. It is a most eagerly awaited bulletin and apart from chroniciling the activities of the association, it provides valuable and practical information pertaining day-to-day practice. It has regular columns such as “Do”s and Don’ts” which educates members on the preventive aspects of medico legal problems and malpractice litigation. In addition there are thought provoking articles, such as accreditation and healthcare facilities, medical ethics, depressed doctors — distressed families and so on.
ii. Better Safe Than Sorry: A very Popular Book authored by non other than Dr. Lalit Kapoor, compiles all the preventive auspects in regard to medical legal cases in daily Medical practise. Many Indivival Speciality Association have distributed this book all over India to their members.
iii. Smart DOC : It is edited by Dr. Suresh Rao. It compiles all the issues face by Medical Consultants on which programme have been held in the past.
iv. Docu Smart : Docu Smart is edited by Dr. Bipin Pandit. It is compilsation of all the stationery material in the correct format as required legally by the medical practioner / Hospital. It act as a ready reconer for printing the stationery like admission form, Consultation form, certificates etc.
v. Car Sticker : A Printed car sticker with AMC Logo given to the Members & its Member proudly stick on their cars.
vi. Telephone Directory: The Association has a telephone directory of consultants, listing specialty-wise, addresses, phone numbers, cell numbers & e-mail addresses. This directory is periodically updated.
I) Maharashtra Medical Council :
The AMC has identified several anomalies and lacunae in the MMC Act. These have been listed and a draft of the same forwarded to the Health and Law ministries for effecting the various amendments through the state Legislature. We now also have representation in the Maharashtra Medical Council (Two AMC Trustees are elected Members of MMC) to participate and interact actively and formulate policies related to medical issues.
The association periodically arranges purposeful discussions and workshops on subjects of immediate concern to practicing consultants.
J) FOMA (Federation of Medical Association) :
Our Association was instrumental in the formation of an Apex Body (FOMA) in 1997, comprising the senior office bearers of the major Medical Associations in Mumbai so as to have an united approach to problems faced by the medical profession and also to avoid duplication of efforts in solving common problems. It also brings various associations together on one platform with the aim of generating greater interaction between the associations and achieves the objective of speaking in one voice on major issues affecting the profession.
K) Honorary Consultants :
In few hospitals, the managements have embarked on a ‘hire and fire’ policy with respect to appointments of Honorary Consultants. The Association was successful in establishing a dialogue with the administrators of some of the hospitals so as torationalise the terms and conditions of honorary appointments
L) Car Insurance :
We have a Car Insurance Policy for the AMC Members & their Families. Salient Features of which are:
- 1. Premium discounted by 35% from erst while Motor tariffs. No claim discount in addition to 35%.
- 2. Towing facility on cashless basis within the city.
- 3. Policy issued within 7 days of receipt of premium.
- 4. Freedom to choose repairer of your choice.
- 5. Appointment of surveyors even on Sundays and holidays for assessment of loss.
- 6. Zero depreciation policy available at extra cost.
- 7. For new car Issuance of policy in advance for purchase of new vehicle so that dealer does not insist on taking insurance from them.
- 8. A simplified proposal form.
- 9. Timely renewal follow up by AMC.
M) Website :
We have an independent website with the domain name http://www.amcmumbai.com. An important communication channel, our website acquaints a member/doctor with our various activities and any doctor wishing to enroll can download our various forms online. Most of our announcements, notices and our magazine are posted online.
N)Board Room for Meetings :
A beautifully decorated A/C board room with seating capacity of around 25 people is a new acquisition of the AMC, situated in the same address. This board room is made available at a nominal cost to members and other medical associations for meeting and group discussion.
Who is eligible to become member?
Those having post-graduate qualification in any branch of medicine /maxillo facial surgeon and are either practising as a consultant or residing or in service or having an attachment to any hospital within the jurisdiction of Greater Mumbai, Navi Mumbai or Thane District are eligible to join the Association.
By now you must have positively realized how important it is for a consultant like you to be a part of such a rapidly growing organization involved in so many constructive activities, AMC is sparkling indisputably I ! !, it can lay claim to being a credible, frontline medical body. If you are eligible, enroll yourself today and be a part of this vibrant organization and strengthen the Association of Medical Consultants, Mumbai. “ASSOCIATION WITH A MISSION!”
For affiliate unit members Please gather 25 Members from your area & start AMC (Area) & enjoy all the above benefits.
For enrolment forms and further details write to:
President Hon. Secretary
Association of Medical Consultants, Mumbai
Membership Fees w.e.f. 16.11.2015
|Life Member||Rs. 9440.00|
|Jt. (Couple) Life Member||Rs. 14160.00|
*Inclusive of servicetax.
Association of Medical Consultants Membership
|Total Membership of the Association||:||8991|
|Members under Professional Indemnity Scheme of AMC||:||6291|
|Persons(Members & Family) under H & A Scheme||:||5091|
|Members under CBS Scheme||:||1208|